These six questions are the kick off point for designing your apprentice attraction strategy (see below).
Before this the most significant hurdle I see employers facing are:
1) how to fit apprentices into workforce plans
2) managing the 20% off the job requirement
Kate Temple-Brown, apprentice strategy consultant, explained "Most of the companies I speak to. who have not yet started to leverage the apprenticeship levy, are struggling to see how they can implement new programmes or new people into their organisation with minimum disruption".
Did you know, for instance, that early career programmes lend themselves to this most easily? Grad programmes for example, but also new manager or induction programmes.
1. How do you make your apprentice application process the path of least resistance?
2. Do you need your apprentices talking at events?
3. How do you write apprentice job descriptions to motivate candidates to apply?
4. How do you get on the radar of influencers?
5. How do you market to schools?
6. How do you build relationships with local schools?
"To encourage applications you need to remove fear from the selection process" Brian Sinclair, Early Careers Talent Acquisition Manager UK & Ireland at Fidelity International